Future

Our JOY and LEGACY

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Don't talk back

I find that with Levi, my 4yr old, I am correcting his behavior in talking back more often than I have ever corrected any one of my other guys. The reason for this is because I allowed him to talk back at an early age and did not regard it as bad behavior. Levi is a darling, really he is, however darling is not going to get him a great job where he can succeed and prosper. His personality is through the roof boisterous, no doubt. It is when that personality decides that he is right you are wrong, or his course of action is better than yours that the great personality turns ugly. He is a child, who of course wants his way, and has managed to make that happen more often than I would like to admit. I am seeing now in his defiance at my commands that if a new behavior in obedience is not established he will be manipulative, and abusive to his own satisfaction as an adult. Being aware of this makes me more than accountable. I have made a point to cut this action off immediately each time he talks back. Now, when he decides to oppose my command, I tell him to stop talking and obey. Mind you, he does try to override the command. It is up to me to remain calm, (I have trained him to talk back, it's not like I should be surprised or upset that he is not listening the first time, YET), and repeat myself with a pop in his hand until the command is obeyed. Because there is no anger and I am consistent he eventually, lets up and go of the excuses, and follows through on the command. This always proves for a better day, especially, because my kiddos see that I look out for them, and what is best for us as a family. Oh, how that plays a huge role in our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment